Monday, November 5, 2007

Why I didn't want to become 20

So the dreaded day has finally come. Today, or more exactly yesterday, I became 20 years old.
It may not seem so big of a deal to many people (in fact, most of my friends have told me that I have nothing to complain about, that I'm still very young, etcetera, etcetera) but, for me, this is one of the gratest shocks I've received in my entire life. It is still incredibly hard to think about myself as a 20-year-old woman (not a girl anymore, huh?), and to face that it is about time for me to take responsabilities for my own actions.

Why 20? What is it that makes it so different from any other birthday? Why don't I feel like celebrating it like every other year? Truth to say, I'm not sure. And, as silly as it may sound, I think it is just because of the 2 at the beginning of the number. Funny, isn't it? The way just a little change in the first number of my age can make my birthday less enjoyable, just because I'm feeling the weight of the responsability for my life on my shoulders, and it is a weight very different from what I thought it would be.

So, as a sensitive reader might have already noticed (not that i'm sure of having one), what I hate about becoming 20, is not being 20, nor getting older, no. What I hate about becoming 20 is what "being 20" symbolizes for me. I like being the youngest in every single social group I belong to; and I like being considered the "mature girl" I'm not, and I like acting as if there were no consequences to my actions. But I am not so sure that I like what I've made of my life so far. Yes, I AM very inmature, and I am kind of lazy, so it feels sometimes as if my life is what it is now just because I was too lazy to do something different of it. As if I'm just drifting along with the circumstances.

Everything seemed clearer when I was younger, when I was a kid. I know that we cannot possibly tell where we will be some years from now, and that things usually don't go as they were planned but, this is not what I imagined my life would be like when I became 20. Not at all. No purpose, no direction, no big achievements, no clear aspirations, no sense of responsability (no sense of direction either: I get lost as soon as I put one foot outside my neighborhood), it just doesn't seem right.

I know, I tend to judge and criticize myself too much. Can't help it, it comes with the package, I guess. And though I know it is kind of stupid and self-destructive, I can't help it, and I don't think I want to. When you lived trapped in some society filled with people unable (or unwilling) to speak about your faults, how are you supposed to improve yourself? How are you supposed to know what you should change or correct? As long as I don't find different answers for those 2 questions, I will continue struggling with my stupid and self-destructive way.

Anyway, I became 20. There's nothing I can do about it. So I'll just have to live with it, and be more prepared next time the first digit of my age increases. Which means a little bit more of work. We'll see how that goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Te quiero hermanita!!!

:]

muy bonito, como siempre lo has hecho

en tu cuaderno chiviado de casper te acuerdas...

jeje

y respecto al tema, tienes tus razones pa escribirlo

pero no te me desanimes

:D

te amo hermanaaaaaaa

LaU ( la E )